11/20/08

And this post goes out to.......

Before I even started darkening the doorway of the blogging world, I have been a "star"(lol) on one of the faithful members of the blogging world so I think it only fair that I devote this whole post to her.
I gotta tell ya, she's quite the gal who can put up with such a bold person like I am. My first impression of her was that she was a snob. (Of course the fact that she was new to my ward, not to mention the island, never crossed my mind that she would be shy.) See, I first saw her at our ward party about three years ago: while her husband was walking around greeting and meeting new people, she was sitting at their table not even making eye contact with anyone, hence the snob notion came to mind. I, on the other hand, was in some way anxious to meet a new person and making new friends but of course I can be so dense sometimes that it completely escaped my mind that I should make the first move and welcome her to our ward.
The first real encounter, as in communication encounter, was at a RS Home Enrichment night. I was asked to teach the ladies a really fun and cute art/craft project and there were two or three other tables set up for other projects that night and she chose my table and project to be her first visit that night. She turned out to be the fastest learner at the table and before the night was over, she was promoted to being my assistant (wink, wink). I think the second official time we met again was at one of my son's baptism and then later on at ward camp. I tell ya, once we started chatting, we couldn't stop, we had so much in common. (Of all the friends I have, she was the only one who like me does not like housecleaning. You can see why she's my friend? I'm not saying that we're slob, we just don't see the point in spending hours cleaning our houses when ten seconds later, the house will end up looking like it was before we started cleaning.)
So, at camp, we got to know each other really well, enough for me to ask her to come to my ladies' night out. Our kids we found out are really close in age and have become really close friends too.
Anyhoo, moving on....we decided we would get together at her house to make some fun arts/crafts projects for Christmas. One of the projects required velcro so my new friend volunteered to pick up the velcro from the store since she will be in town. So here we were at her house, all our materials we needed for our projects laid out on her table when she pulled out the velcro, looking very proud of herself for her contribution to our projects. Ok, the projects we had were all paper products and would need gluing and guess what kind of velcro she has? Yes, a sew-on velcro. You see where I'm going with this, right? We needed the glue-on velcro since we were working with paper products. Well, all I could do was just stare at the velcro, with different thoughts going through my mind and all I could think about was how in the world are we going to use sew on velcro on papers? So of course me with my uncontrolled tongue blurted out..."English is your first language, isn't it?", before I pointed out that she had bought the wrong kind of velcro. I know, very RUDE of me but I just couldn't help myself. But being the sweet person that she is, she bursts out laughing..now you see why I like her? She doesn't mind laughing at herself. I did feel bad for being so bold and rude like that so when I got home, I told my husband what I said. He looked at me with total unbelief on his face, shaking his head and mumbling something about how I could be so bold as to say something so insulting to someone I have just befriended.
Well, a couple days later we got together at my home and she told me how she told her family about what I said and her family thought that was the funniest thing they have ever heard. My husband didn't think it was funny. To this day, whenever I said I'm going to my friend's house or she is coming over, my hubby would smile and cringe at the same time. He smiles because he thinks my spending time with my new friend will keep me out of trouble (as if I'm a troublemaker), some of her goodness will rub off on me and he is always hoping I may learn a thing or two from her. But he cringes at the same time because he is always worried I might say something incredibly rude and insulting.
So here goes.....Girl in a Swirl. Here's to you.

11 comments:

LBBlum said...

Too funny Anjeny.
If I took anything you said- SERIOUS- maybe I would get offended.

:0)
I'm glad we're friends.
{mistiza} is the verifier.. I've got mistiza in my eyes.. .no I'm not crying!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

I love your blog layout, Anjeny! And Swirl is right, you are funny and cute. You said the right thing to the right girl in a swirl. She can take it. And she can bring it.

LOVED your comment on my blog. Thanks. IT was so hilarious and profound. YOU made the CONNECTION! You would be a great English student.

Thanks for following me too. You're #40!

I'll always remember #40.

Anjeny said...

Yooohoo...I got a comment..lol. Well, you stay just the way you are, I wouldn't change anything.

Oh yeah, thanks for commenting.

Anjeny said...

Lol Crash. Alright, you were a lot faster than me when I was responding to Swirl's post so I didn't see your post til mine was posted. Thank you for visiting and for your fine "fingerprints"...I'm glad to be at least on some kinda number on your follower's list..eheh.
Oh and thank you for being the first one to welcome me on to the blogging world. It was very sweet and thoughtful of you.

Anjeny said...

Oh yeah Crash...Swirl was the one responsible for the beautiful layout of this blog...I called for her help virtual style and she showed up fully armed with virtual tools to make my site look like this. I'm still trying to find my way around this "blogasphere" as you call it.
Thanks again for commenting on both posts.

LBBlum said...

Just popping in to see whatz new!
love your blog!

can't wait to hear the ramblings

Emily said...

I had to come check you out... and see you rave about my sis. I know we did meet when I was there but I was too busy being hugely pregnant and HOT and taking 4 showers a day to remember much of anything.

The word verifier says 'oursprom'.. I've tried really hard to block prom out of my mind... ask my sister about my date who was a magician (complete with a cape and top hat.. oooh, the painful memories are coming back to me)

Anjeny said...

Emily..thank you for stopping by. Hope I pass the test, eheh. I do remember meeting you and I'm totally with ya on the pregnancy part.
I can't help myself but to laugh at the prom memory...your magician date didn't try to saw you up in half as some part of a new dance move, did he?
Laura, I like your sister, in fact, I think I'm gonna like her more than you..eheheh, j/k.
BTW, I had a great time last night, thank you for coming with me and my girls on our night out. They had a great time too. They always think it's a great way to see how silly their mom can be when among her friends..silly gooses.

Martha said...

Hey Anjeny, I knew exactly who you were talking about before you actually mentioned her Swirly name.

I have to say I sorta, kinda thought you were a little crabby before. I'm so glad I gave you another look when Swirl kept talking about you and saying how funny and cool you were. Now I think you are funny and cool too.

Anjeny said...

Aww Martha..thanks on all counts, and thanks for stopping by.

Emily said...

I wish he had sawed me in half- it would have been a mercy and saved me much embarrasment. He did have a wand that turned into flowers, though. Voila!

Thanks for commenting on my pregnancylossribbons blog- if you want to see my personal site (including photos of my adorable children ha ha!) you can visit me at PokeMommaMia.blogspot.com

The word verifier says 'pozater'- must be getting into Thanksgiving mode because mashed pozaters are my favorites!