1/14/09

What Do They Talk About?

My 15 year old daughter, Jen, came bursting into the house, all blushed from running from the bus stop to our house, curiousity written all over her face....

Jen: Mom, is cucumber a vegetable or a fruit?

Me: A veggie, why?

Jen: Just wondering. So what is a gourd?

Me: Don't you want to look it up yourself in the dictionary? And why are you asking me these questions?

Jen: Well, because Josh said cucumbers are gourds and I didn't know there's such a thing as a gourd til now.

{This daughter was always asking me what does something mean, or how do you spell something or some such other simple stuff so I usually hands her a dictionary to look up her words or have her google it...don't u just love googling?}

Then she proceeded to relay this conversation she and her friends had while they were waiting for their school bus.

{Conversation between Jen and her friends Maila, Steph, and Josh.}

Maila: What do cherries grow on?

Steph: uhh.. trees? hahaha

Josh: yeah you've never heard of George Washington chopping down the cherry tree?

Maila: well, yeah, but... wait, but they're so small.

Steph: yeah??

Maila: shouldn't they grow on like bushes, like berries?

Jen: hahaha Cherry-berries.

Maila: hahahaha that's so cool. ohhh!! but they have blue berries and black berries and raspberries.. that would be awesome if they had cherry-berries.

Jen: haha yeah. Oh! did you know that potatoes are starches?

Maila: What?? you mean they aren't vegetables??

Josh: no, potatos are starches.

Steph: umm.. hahaha. yeah starches, kinda like rice?

Jen: I thought rice was grain.

Steph: Grain is a starch.

Jen: oh... like bread.

Josh: yeah.

Maila: wait.. you mean there's another category??? why can't it just be fruits and vegetables??

Jen: yeah.. wait.. what makes fruits and vegetables.. fruits and vegetables?

Maila: don't fruits always have seeds?

Jen: no cause cucumbers have seeds and they're vegetables.

Josh: well, technically, that's a gourd.

Jen: what the heck is a gourd??

Steph: like squash, or pumpkins.

Maila: ....you mean there's ANOTHER category??????????? why do they have to make it so darn confusing???????


I was laughing the whole time she was retelling this conversation. I thought this was so funny I just had to blog about it.

Glad to know "boys" aren't the only topic of my daughter's conversation when she's with her friends.

5 comments:

April said...

Cute family!!! WOW!!! Seven kids??? I bow down to you!!!

Thanks for all the love! I know things will go well!

Your daughter sounds adorable!! Good luck with the dating!! Bahahahaha!!!

Anjeny said...

Aw shucks..you don't have to bow to me April. I love kids, so does my husband, enough said..LOL.
This daughter is my very VERY verbal kid in this family. She expressed herself soooo meticulously that no one can misunderstand why certain things would makes her happy and why some annoys her.
I find that very helpful esp. when it comes to "boys" subject but very annoying when she's expressing her feelings about what I'm doing to upset her. Talk about a catch 22..if I tell her to shush her mouth she will never talk to me about her days but if I tell her to express herself, I hear what annoying things I do to make her life miserable. Go figure.
Thanks for stopping by. Hope everything go great today.

LBBlum said...

Glad Jen is showing interest in other areas.
:p

Love this side picture of your offspring in a pyramid! I just noticed it! Too cute!

Doncha Wannano said...

I can't believe a conversation like this took place. I love it! Make sure you tell her a pickle is also a cucumber.

Anjeny said...

Tell me about it. I was more surprise that these teens had other topics of conversation besides the obvious "boy" topic. She will flip when I tell her that..lol.