3/17/09

A Little Creativity

This past Saturday our Monthly card group had another get together to swap card, create beautiful cards and just enjoy each other's company. Our theme for this month was on Celebration. Since last month and this month is Sell-a-Bration months for StampinUp, we chose the month of March to the month where each person can create any card they want using either recent Sell-a-Bration stamps or accessories or past Sell-a-Bration products.

I was the demo for this month so I chose to demo water color technique using SU's watercolor crayons. I think of all the inks in the catalogue, watercolor crayons are the only inks we haven't tried yet so I thought it would be a really fun technique to try.

This is the card I demo that night. I use one of the stamps from our Sell-a-Bration catalogue to stamp the outline of the flowers in Stazon Black ink pad and then using watercolor crayon, I color directly on the stamp and then spray a little water on it and then stamp it inside the outline. The ladies loved this technique especially when using the Aqua pen to distribute the ink evenly inside the outline of the flower and leaves. And of course, a card would never be complete without the use of ribbon and brads, as far as I'm concerned. Very simple, yet elegant and cute at the same time, what ya think?

Here are some of the cards that some of our ladies made. I am trying not to make a really long post by posting all the cards, there were five ladies who couldn't make it to our card swap so I haven't gotten their cards yet, so I've decided to feature some of my favorites on this post. I will be posting the rest of the cards on my card slide show on the left side bar if any of you are interested to see them all.

This card on the left was made by our thirteen year old member. She used one of our dye cuts to create this card and a five petal flower punch. Very simple too yet cute. She was really excited to try out the newest addition to the SU collection, the Big Shot. Good job Jasmine!!The card on the right was made by Jocelyn, Jasmine's mom. See how she recycle...she uses the negative cut-out from her daughter's cards (Saffron card stock) to add a little illusion to her card. Isn't that clever? I love this card, very brilliant Joce.


Brandi made this card. She used Elegant Eggplant ink pads to stamp the chandelier and the sayings on So Saffron card stock. Those are colors that are rarely combined but she used them and they look absolutely wonderful together. Who'd have thought uh? And look how elegant that makes. I just love that chandelier stamp. She even used a rhynestone brad on the chandelier. Loooove it!!

This is Sister Dixon's card. If you look closely, you can see all the stitched marks she made. She used a gel pen to make all those stitches to make it look like a quilt. Who said that stitched quilt squares are only meant for fabric. This card even though may look simple, took a lot great deal of time and love to make. All the little squares are punched out using square punch and then glued on individually and then she used the gel pen to draw all those stitches on. A lot of work on just one card so imagine making that same card fourteen times...that was how many cards she made for the swap. LY Sis. Dixon...love this card.
The next card...the one we always wait til last to pass around, was made by our very creative and talented Kathy...I mentioned before that all her cards she made, there are a story attached to each one of them.This one she said, it was inspired by one of her scrap book pages she made for one of her grand daughter. Look how she used a ribbon to make the stem and leaves of the flower, very creative. Now I gotta tell you a little about Kathy. A few years ago, she was called as our RS homemaking Counselor and I was the RS secretary. At time, card making was big thing for me, still is, so I was always looking for people to either host card parties for me or join my group. We had a Presidency meeting one weekend and I have a SU party that I was hosting and demonstrating so I just casually invited all three ladies to come if they have time. So, she came along with the RS President, I gotta admit, she was the one I least expect would even show up. It turned out she was looking for something her mom could do to pass the time in her old age. But then when Kathy came to my SU party, it turned out to be something she really loved doing. It was always nice seeing how she incorporate all the technique and products not just in making cards but everything else she touches. And it's soo cute that her hubby is her biggest fan, the most supportive husband, whenever he travels for business, he always stop at a craft store and buy her something to add to her neat collection.

Of course, I can't just end it here without showing you my card I made. I am always into making fun cards, maybe because of the fact that my kids are my main critique and users of my creativity, I have to make cards that they love. Seriously, whenever I am creating a project, as soon as I am done with it, I would take it to each of the kids to ask for their input. It's actually a great way for me to find out what colors are more interesting to each kid. So here's my card...I borrowed this idea from Dawn.


I used the same stamp set that I used for the demo to make my flower but in this card I didn't use the watercolor technique. Looks very simple and kinda bland, isn't it? The fun part of the card is that you slide the yellow half of the card like it showed on the left. It's kinda like a "surprise!!" card. Very cute, very simple yet something a kid would spend time playing with...sliding the top back and forth, like sliding a door open and close, no?

My kids love this card, so do I. It's a bday card, can't wait to see which one of the kids is going to claim this one for his/her friend.

Our hostess was so cute, her whole theme for the night was St.Patrick's Day. The food were all green, we had green veggies, green salad, green chicken enchiladas, and lime-ade for drink. She even made green hats made out of papers and filled them with any green covering candy she could get her hands on and stacked those hats on a pyramid on top of her table. And then she printed up some Irish proverbs, curses, prayers and even lullaby for us to pass the time while waiting for the late-comers. It was absolutely wonderful. I regret that I forgot to take my camera with me that night....again.

Hope y'all like this little creativity. Enjoy!!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

These cards are all so beautiful...I envy your abilities!

I think it is so great that you have a group of women who love doing this so much that you get together monthly to make and swap cards!

Heidi said...

These are just incredible. One year for Christmas, my sister made us all a box of a variety of homemade, handstamped type cards. It was my favorite gift that year.

Anjeny said...

Hi Amanda, thanks for the comment. But hey, you shouldn't envy me, you're the one with the best and as far as I'm concerned sought after talent...making creative gourmet meals. I would so love to be able to create not just edible food but one totally scrumptious and creative meals.

Heidi, thank you. I'll donate some cards for you if ever you're doing a give away and who knows, now that I know you like homemade cards, hmmmmmm, Santa just might be visiting you this Christmas or maybe the birthday fairy? When is your bday anyway? Did I miss it? hope not.

J. Baxter said...

You crafty women put me to shame every time! I CANNOT do these kinds of things, but that just makes me more appreciative of those of you who can.

Cute cards. If I ever made something that cute, I could never give it away.

Gran Denny said...

Aw Anjeny, you're so clever, I just love that you share photos from your card swap, now I finally get what it's about. I'm thinking could I squeeze enough spare time into my life to start a group like this.....

Anjeny said...

Aw Jen..thank you. I'm sure there are creative things that you can make that I can't do either. You know when I first saw a rubber stamp, I had that same thought too, that I would never be able to create anything with it..and then once I tried it, I found I actually had a knack for it, who'd have thought.

And I totally read ya on that part about not giving away something beautiful. I was like that at first, I didn't want to give my first card away but as I started doing it more and then seeing the look on the receiver makes me want to do it more. It's actually more satisfying to give away a home made gift to somebody who really does appreciate it, don't you think?

Hi Gran...I'm thinking you should start a group. It's actually my greatest ME time, having this group. Thanks for stopping by.

Jo said...

Beautiful cards Anjeny... as usual :)

I just had a Stampin Up party at my house yesterday! One of my best friends from High School is a demonstrator so she came and did a party. We had a blast :)

Now if only I could win the lottery so I could buy the gazillion things I want! :)

Thanks for the comment with this link :) Come back often... we love to see your work too :)

Jo

Queenie Jeannie said...

Fabulous cards and some really neat ideas!!

LBBlum said...

awwwww... I love seeing all the cards from the card swap... so beautiful!!!

we need to plan a lunch/dinner date with stephanie!!!

this week is crazy with 6th grade grad and kindergarten grad ...

I can't remember what day we originally said, but why don't we go Friday after 6th grade graduation and go out to lunch????

Let me know.