Today, fifty years ago, Hawaii became a state of the United States of America. I thought it's kind of exciting and should mean more since Hawaii was the fiftieth state and it is its fiftieth anniversary, it would be a big deal and the island will be ringing with its celebration but so far, nothing, zip, zilch, Nada, not even a peep about this special day.
If any of you know, Hawaii or people of Hawaii can really throw a party. People here look for any excuse to celebrate anything, from the most minimal thing to the biggest thing. So, I was thinking, wow, I will be probably see fireworks, people hanging out at the beach or park, barbecuing and all that jazz but like I said already, zip, zilch, nothing at all to commemorate this momentous occasion...a memorable day in history.
As I was wiping sleep out of my eyes this morning, I heard the reporter broadcasting on the news this morning her happy wish to the Hawaii for its fiftieth anniversary but along with her well wish, her crushing announcement that Hawaii will not be celebrating or doing anything to recognize this significant event of its history, there will be no celebrating Hawaii's anniversary today so as not to offend those Hawaiians who support the sovereignty movement since they believe that Hawaii sovereignty nation was taken illegally....(are you kidding me people?). But get this, instead of recognizing its joining the US, there will be a gathering of people at the Iolani Palace in Honolulu to recognize Hawaii as a Sovereign Nation instead of a state in the US of A.
I can't even begin to express the feeling I have about this turn of events. I don't see what US done to Hawaii that is soo awful that there are actually people out there who are so adamant that their old Kingdom be brought back, that they would claim that the Hawaiian islands were stolen from them and that their Kingdom was overthrown unjustly. Sad part about all this is that not all the Hawaiians are in agreement with this....there are actually those Hawaiian bloods who are for Hawaii being part of the US and don't care very much for Hawaii going back to it monarchy status. Quite frankly, Hawaii has benefited so much from being a state of US.
I do would like to know though...if US never set foot on Hawaii and never made Hawaii one of its state, would Hawaii be the thriving place that it is today? Would their industry be this successful? There are other Polynesian islands like Tonga whose govern by a King, how is that island doing? Are they as thriving and successful as Hawaii is today? A definite NO to all of the above questions. But that's already in the mindset of some of the people here, they are totally adamant about reinstating their Kingdom so I guess I will just wish them the best of luck.
If you ask me....I was and will always be grateful for all that US has done. I've come from a place where the US influence has been a great benefit and has been a positive impact for me, my family and my whole country. And I'm not just saying this because I'm married to an American or my kids are American. Of course, right now because of the lack of better judgment on the majority voters who put a very sly snake for man as President whose very good at giving speeches and leading this country to its present economic hardship, I still believe that US will always be a great nation and that the values that the country was founded on were most commentible.
So with this mind, I just want to give my shout-out to Hawaii...the state of Hawaii and to all those who feel the same way I do....Happy 50th Anniversary!! May the Lord above bless you with all the bounteous blessings and may you be continually a safe haven for me and mine and for all others who seek to make a home with you.
God bless and love always,











8 comments:
You should have thrown your own party. Looks like you did a good start here on your blog.
BTW- Happy 50th Hawaii (and Hawaiians). So glad you are part of the US!!!!
Having lived in both Tonga and Western Samoa myself let me say that it's great to be in the USA.
The USA rocks! I'm not just saying that because I am an American. I feel truly blessed to have been born here and can raise my family in a free country of prosperity and happiness.
I agree with you about our sly president. (notice no capitalization). I worry about the damage he is doing and the legacy he will be leaving for our children. Maybe this is the reason Hawaii is choosing no to celebrate. The Hawaiians are fearing the future of our country because of the policies of one of their own.
anjeny, i loved your write up on Hawaii being the 50th state and it's anniversary, you are right, there should have been partying and celebrating, not complaining, and you are also right about the sly president, hopefully nothing can't be undone that he will sneak through the next four years...you are one in a million in Hawaii, it is so liberal there, how do you survive with your views?? well, my hat is off to you!!
Ah, this made me really really sad.
Lot's of feelings that I won't express here.
Awesome post! Happy Anniversary Hawaii!!!!
And yes, Obama is a nightmare beyond measure!!!
I'm glad you wrote about this. It is more significant to have your perspective as an emigrant that came from another island culture to this one.
It is also significant that there are some in the Hawaiian sovereignty movement who authentically don't appreciate that Hawaii is developed more than Tonga. It is hard to differentiate what their motives are. Or even to understand their perspective without it filtering through our own lenses.
The types of "what ifs" that come to my mind are things that would steer me to find the "gratitude in all things", if I were in their shoes. A victim mentality never makes things whole. This sense of moral judgement is easily criticized also, so there really is little objective authority that meets all the requirements of a consensus. It leaves me to try to see the paradox, in the moment and not from a victim perspective. Of course, to study and use the lessons from the past and mark the significance of the current sentiment for the future of our decision making is also important. But ask and compare: Did American Samoa want the annexation of the US? Did Panama? Did Micronesia? Did they have more to gain that they are grateful for? What would make Hawaii different?
What I mean to say, is that the kind of speculation such as I believe you were doing in your post, might be more fruitful if it had a clear comparison point. Would they really prefer what they would have had if they had never become a state (regardless of how it happened?) Instead of focusing on a speculation of what it could be like if they had not been the victims of a colonization vs. what can they appreciate about it now that it is.
For examle, given such hardships that other underdeveloped nations are dealing with today, and without any vested interest from a first world country, what could have become of Hawaii had it been of no significance to the US territory. Was there any gain that could be thought to outweigh the losses? You point this out nicely when you refer to Tonga. I'm not trying to overshadow your statement, rather I am just trying to add to it and see if it can be appreciated even further.
On this planet, we cannot avoid the consequences of the choices that other far away decision makers are making. This is evidence by the struggles of the current four years running famine in Kenya and sea levels rising threatening to make islands such as Bangladesh disappear. So maybe the sovereign people could try to speculate in their own behalf, as to what benefits are available from this event. Perhaps King Solomon would be able to come up with a test that would get to the heart of the matter and then we would all be enlightened. Who is our King Solomon? Do we need one or can we just really study our history to find our answers? Not just focus on what satisfies us first, because it is familiar.... but find out what it is that we don't really understand.
After all, it is a past reality that can never be erased or fully reversed. The question, I believe, is how to move on.....
Is it better to celebrate the resurrection of Christ at Easter or to re-enact the gruesome death and why it happened from the perspective of the Romans? Or to show respect for the jews, should we just not mention it?
Woah!
whew!
I don't even know what to say after dolly...
I was glad to see your post on Hawaii... sometimes I feel very out-of-touch relating to this topic... I feel just like you-- but you know we are sisters seperated at birth-- so that might not be suprising!
Post a Comment