That reminds me though, I'm a walking-thinking-non-stop type of person. From the minute I opened my eyes in the morning til I fell asleep at night, I have thoughts swirling around in my head. Sometimes I'm awakened by my thoughts yet I am unable to put them into words. Then again, maybe it's a good thing because if anyone read half of the thoughts I have, they'd run and hide from me..LOL. But enough about that.
Last month I was called into the Bishop's office and offered a new calling. I was extended a call to serve as a Bear Den Leader in the Cub Scout Program. Anyone who knows me, know I always jump at the opportunity to carry out any calling, doesn't matter what it was, I'm always ready (well, as ready as I can be). Yet, for the first time since I became a LDS, I actually hesitated. I actually told the Counselor to give me a time to think on it.
What he said to me when he extended the call was that they know I can do the job, those boys would be better served with me being their leader, but they don't know if I have the time. Well, in my thoughts and I think I even told him..."Hmmmmm, I have all the time in the world since I'm home and it's not whether I have the time, I can make time but I'm just not sure I can do this calling or if I even want to." It actually took me two weeks to get back to him and accepted the calling, I even have to call my dear friend Swirl and freaked out on her (she used to be a den leader and still in Cub Scouting program and she loves it) to ease my worry.
Seriously, I don't think I've ever had a calling that freaks me out more...even when I was called to be a Branch pianist as a 16 year old after taking piano for only six months and had to mess up on some keys here and there...nope, I saw that as an opportunity to practice my new found talent. Nope, not even when I was called a District Assistant Clerk when I was 17 and I was given the responsibility over the finance, a teen who had never earn a wage to be suddenly handling a budget like that, nope that didn't even phase me in the least bit. Or when I was called to be a pianist for RS when I first moved into this ward..again, I would literally screwed up on the song but even that didn't matter to me. Or to teach RS(have I mentioned how intimidated I am to be in front of other adult let alone teaching them a lesson which I'm sure they know more about?) which I wasn't as freaked about as I thought I would. I've lost count of all those different callings I have done, some hard and others easy but I took them all with the same attitude.."I will do my best and give my all and yes I'm ready to serve now."
Not so with this Cub Scout calling. Why is that, you ask? I've actually thought I would be lucky enough to never be in Scouting even with four boys(ahah, the joke's on me). So why is this calling different for me and why even now I'm having serious doubt about ability to do it? I'll tell you why....it's because the thought of having little boys, three or more all in the same age, just the thought of them in the same room totally wears me out. All those active energy of theirs, I seriously don't know how to deal with all that energy. But I have four boys, how did I deal with that, you're wanting to know? Well, it's like this...my four boys are different in age, different levels of attention and activity so therefore I can focus on each one of them individually..see?
I am not a very active person. My level of activity or exercise is walking up and down the stairs for my daily chores, run to the grocery store and walk up and down the aisle, stand at the kitchen sink to wash dishes and the occasional running of the vacuum across the floor...you see what I'm saying? Take a very inactive person and throw some very active boys her way to keep them doing something fun yet informative and manage to keep their attention for one hour and tell me if that is a good match. Oh yeah, I was informed it's an easy calling since it's by the book. Everything is in the book, I don't have to try to come up with something creative or fun to teach them...well, I've looked through the book, I can understand all in there but I am still as clueless as ever. Do I keep them indoor focused on the project in hand first then take them outside and have them run their energy off or do I have them run their energy off first then on to the lesson on hand? Which one do I do first? Yeah, we meet in the afternoon, right after school so I know there's no way they would want to be indoor doing some lesson, they've already been in school for six hours...but if I have them outdoor working off their energy, they'll be too tired to even bother with the lesson later. Yes I know, some of you this is piece of cake, you probably can't figure out what the fuss is all about but this is still a dilemma for me.
So last week, we had our first meet. It went well. The Primary needed help coloring eggs for their Easter egg hunt so our den was recruited to help out and that was what we did last Thursday. Which worked out great because while the boys were coloring eggs, I went through their books to see how far along they are on there. Yesterday was supposed to be our second meet. I forgot to call them on Wednesday to remind them to come but I did call yesterday morning but nobody showed up except of course my son(my son Joey is the one in this den). Yes, my first failure as a new leader. A bit disturbing, it doesn't do good at all to my confidence but that's ok...I've resolve to do all I can to make this calling the best one I've done so far...after all, I'd probably end up doing this calling til way after Danny came and went. So I went to Round Table last night, learned a few new things and next Saturday I'm going to the Leadership Training all day meeting. Who knows, I'll probably end up liking Scout more than anything else and will probably be sad to leave it when my time ends :)...hey, I'm trying to think positive here.
So yeah, this my most recent challenge/or adventure(take it anyway you want) that I'm having now. Other than that, it's been pretty quite here since we've gone to court with our neighbors. I'm happy to report that after I posted this post, we've resolved our issues with our neighbors, don't know how long this peace and quiet will last but we're enjoying it all the same. We are not all the way there yet where we can chat up with our neighbors but at least they're leaving us alone so that's a real plus.
By the way...Mother's day is coming up and I'd like to send all of you who follows me, even those who don't follow but are interested, a genuine Mother's Day card made by yours truly and the ladies in my card swap group. Interested, send me your physical address through email, aighty?
Have a great day and if you're going out tonight with your SO/hub/BF...be safe and enjoy!!
God bless with all my aloha!!











2 comments:
Chin up honey! I actually became a boy scout leader because no one else would do it and my son REALLY wanted to do scouts!!! I'm a girly girl with ZERO interest in boy kind of stuff. But I did it anyway. And you know what? It was a blast! I only did it a year but I put my all into it!
And trust me, boys are WAYYYY easier than the girls! Ugh!
I got two SU boxes today. SQUEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Off to play now....
I hear you. Alan just got called to be a scout leader and I freaked out. This is when that "JUST SAY NO" slogan comes in handy. But he accepted it too. sigh!
Good luck!
You'll do great!
Post a Comment