3/1/10

Thank Goodness It's Only a Warning

As everyone knows, Saturday was a quite a scare for Hawaii. A Tsunami Warning was issued to all the residents living close to the shores along with evacuation notice for shoreline residence to move to higher ground. Thankfully we had some set time to aim for..which was at 11 a.m.

Our house sits across the street from the ocean so our family definitely needed to evacuate from it to higher ground. We spent a couple of hours putting everything else we feel of importance to the highest level of our house and locked them up. We took changes of clothes, food, emergency kits, water, flashlight, tent, sleeping bags, blankets, anything that we feel we would need and some gameboards and books to help stem the wait. We then drove up to the chapel on the hill.

Goodness gracious, the parking lot was jam packed with people and their vehicles. We managed to squeezed our van and a truck in there somewhere.



Of course, here in Hawaii, when people get together whether planned or not, it always turned into something positive and we usually turned it into a social event..LOL.







These are classic..that's my friend Brandi's son on top of his car.


And yes, this guy is sleeping on a jetski!!



And of course, it wouldn't have been a memorable event without my little princess staking her claim on some handsome cute little hunk, now would it? LOL





I am extremely grateful that the predicted big wave that was suppose to hit Hawaii died out before it hit here. There would've been a lot of homeless people today, including my family if there was an actual tsunami hit. I am happy to report that everyone was safe...all the adults were truly happy that we didn't get devastated by a natural disaster but the kids, all the kids who evacuated with their families were a bit disappointed that there was no show of the big wave. This is what the sea looked like at the estimated time the tsunami was suppose to hit the island...

One thing for sure though, this Tsunami warning is a great test to see who's actually prepared. Although our family was able to get to higher ground and able to put the rest of belonging into secured places in our house and actually had our 72-hr. kits, water, changes of clothes, there were some things that I find a bit lacking. So for sure, I am a bit more aware now and will be able to do better next time.

A big mahalo goes out to all our family and friends on the mainland for your prayers and concerns.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I thought about you Saturday when I heard of the warning. I'm so glad that things turned out okay...

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lisa...I am glad too.

April said...

my prayers were with you! I am so glad things worked out for you and your family!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Oh girl I thought right of you when I heard about that Tsunami! So glad it was just a warning also.

Those pictures are classic and your little girl is ADORABLE!!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics!!

I'm glad y'all didn't wash away!

Valerie said...

That must have been so scary! I know I wouldn't be ready for something like that. I gotta get to it!

(I found you on Mormon Mommy Blogs and had a fun visit here.)