That totally stunned me there for a minute. Have I never really made breakfast for the kids that my daughter seeing me in the kitchen cooking so early in the morning is surprising for her? I had to do quick rewind into the last seventeen years and tried to remember when was the last time I stood in my kitchen to make breakfast for them. And you know something, she was absolutely right. I hardly make breakfast.
I am not a morning person, have always been that way so breakfast was never that important to me. I would rather sleep than getting up to eat breakfast. It was so much more important to me to catch the last few minutes of the early morning sleep than to bother with the morning rituals of breakfast. And so I guess I just carried it over onto my marriage and parenthood. Yes! I know!! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but who cares? I certainly don't or didn't.
Why are you looking at me that way? I do feed my kids breakfast. I made sure we have cereal for them to eat. On the week days, I had them eat at school. Hey the food is a lot more nutritional and way cheaper. On the weekends, I feed them cold cereal...ok so on special occasion I made breakfast but it's more like brunch. And on those days where there are no school, Steph is usually the one who takes over the kitchen, the cooking part at least.
See how far I've fallen off that mommy bandwagon? I have been neglecting my kids. Just last week, my eight grader had a field trip and again, since I usually go to the store to get my kids sack lunch, so I decided I was going to do the same thing, buy his lunch at the store but when we got to the there to get my son his lunch, poke which is raw tuna fish seasoned really good with rice, I came to find out that the place does not take personal checks. And that was all I had with me, a checkbook and a dollar bill so what did I do? I gave my son the dollar bill that probably could only buy candy bar and sent him on his way.
On that same day, the elementary school had a super citizen assembly and my son who is in sixth grade was chosen as super citizen for the month. They were also going on a field trip that day so sixth graders were to be first to get their recognition so they can make it to their field trip. My husband called me to let me know that but I thought I, in my prideful and all knowing attitude thought he was just trying to get me to go early so I just brushed aside what he said as a joke and went about doing some other stuff before I went to the assembly. Well, when I finally showed up at the school, the sixth graders were all lined up to go on their field trip and my son had already gotten his recognition and I missed the whole thing. See, what I mean? And those weren't the only times I've done that, there were countless others but I am too ashamed to name them all....I sincerely hope they don't end up going to therapy for the rest of their lives. So there, my confession for the weeks for my NPSA.

There ya go, my ramblings for the day. Now, if you haven't participated in my Pay it forward, please scroll down and check it out or read the top of this page on how to participate. I still need people to play. Aight, later all and God bless!!

12 comments:
I think we all belong in the NPSA at some point. I appreciate your honesty and am glad to hear I'm not the only one!
Ummm, totally! Hey, I make breakfast for my kids... I get the bowls out, the spoons, cereal and even the milk. Aren't I a kind and caring mother?
Don't feel bad, I try to get my kids to make breakfast for ME!!
oh hush, you can't be that bad, all your kids are alive and healthy.
NPSA? ha ha ha They have a name and a button for it even? I love it. Where do I sign up. You know all about my sack lunch issues!
2busy..I know, I feel the same way, it's always nice to hear I'm not the only one going through what I'm going through. Thanks for the comment.
Julie..I'd say you do better than I do. I just tell em, "kids, there's cereal in the cabinet and milk in the fridge, help yourself, but make sure you don't make a mess...yet the kitchen is messy and no clean dishes..lol.
Val, my 17 yr old does that all the time that's why she was shocked to see me in the kitchen so early in the morning..eheheh. I think she's more responsible than I am..oh well!!
Thank you Ter..I guess I should be happy that they are still alive uh? LOL Thank you so much, I feel much better.
Crash..I am assuming you are laughing WITH me and not AT me..lol. But yeah there is a button now, Julie made it...you should check out her blog, this is something she does every Friday now so I thought I'd join in on her Friday post. You should check her stuff out, they are fuuuunny!!
I have lots of olders sisters. When I got married, one of them gave me this advice: don't get up and make breakfast for your husband before work. Get him used to the cold cereal from day one. You'll be so glad you did! Lucky for me, that's what my mother in law fed my husband his whole life, too, so it was no big deal. I have to admit, my mom always got up and made us breakfast but I am not good in the kitchen and I'm not good in the morning so it was never meant to be. signed: no regrets
I make breakfast for my kids all the time, but hardly ever at breakfast time! We have scrambled eggs for dinner or pancakes or french toast at least once a week. Sometimes Sunday night.
Yesterday we had no clean spoons so I got out a plastic spoon from my foodstorage to give to my 3yo (I was way too lazy to wash one). My 3yo sat down to eat and said "Is this a joke?" ha ha! I don't know, do you think it is funny?
ok, I cook 3 meals a day, but I still fall into this group :) Actually, when Laura and fam visited a couple years ago she was making fun of me for cooking every meal, but that's just what I do.
Heidi, I would totally agree and listened to your sisters too..it was a very wise advice, no need spoiling our hubbies on something we don't usually or normally do. I'm glad your hubby is used to not having breakfast, made things easier for you. I told my hubby that when we were dating that I am not a morning person and not to expect that I will be getting up in the morning to do breakfast..bothered him at first but now he's used to it.
Emily..I did laugh at what your son said and you being too lazy to wash his spoon..lol. Yeah I do tend to do that too, feed my kids breakfast food for dinner...actually I relish it when they asked to eat cereal for dinner...less work for me.
Amanda..you're a great mom! If I'm as good a cook as you are, I probably wouldn't mind cooking three meals a day..I would definitely love eating three meals a day if I was living with you. Oh to be spoiled by you..that would be the best thing in the world!!
NPSA is my kinda place!
I used to get up and make breakfast all the time... one child will actually EAT the oatmeal... a different child will tolerate cream of wheat... pancakes satisfy two stomachs... waffles only appeal to one... crepes? only 2 will eat them. omelets delight one child but nauseate the other 4... you get the picture? Since cereal makes all 5 happy it's a better alternative to being a short order chef!
Your Word Verifier says "scrud" - how did it know my all time favorite non-swear word?
T...Julie at Youngbloods4ever is the creator of NPSA...she does her post every Friday and open to anyone who want to post about their neglectful parenting..lol..so check it out and jump in and a post. I think I'm probably the only one who's jumped on her bandwagon on this..lol.
I'd love to read your neglectful moments..lol. Kids are very fickle aren't they? They are easy to please sometimes and other times I think they are like curse to my existence, send to torture me...lol. Thanks for commenting.
Post a Comment