This is the assigned book for our next book club meeting. I've mentioned before my love affair with reading, whenever I see a book, once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down til I finished it.When one of the members of our Book Club suggested this book, I was so excited to be one of the first one to purchase the book so I can read it before the rest of the group. I can't really describe my first feeling about the book when I got it...it was absolutely not what I expect it to be.
To give the book some credit, lemme summarize what the book is about first. It actually has a nice history and plot to the book but I just don't like the way it was written. Basically, the book was about a book club {name of the title} that came to be due to the heroin's quick thinking to save her and friends from a very sticky {which could lead them to death} situation. The club was made up of a few people on an island in the English channel during the German Occupation. When the German landed on the island, called Guernsey, communications, food, any form of aide was cut off from mainland England so the German soldiers practically took full control of any livestock on the island. Every single farm animal was numbered and recorded in a book so if any islander is caught eating any of the farm animals, they are either sent to prison or they get punished. Well, one of the islander happened to have a pig that she was clever enough to hide from the German soldiers so she invited a few of her friends to have a roast dinner with her and they stayed out way past the curfew that when they were each returning to their homes, they got caught by the soldiers. They couldn't come out and confessed that the reason for being out late was because they were enjoying a fine roast pig dinner so one of the islander who got caught, who was actually an heroin, with quick thinking had to lie to the soldiers and told them they were out late due to their book club meeting...and that's how the book club started.
I know, you're thinking that this sound like a good book so what should I be complaining about the book. Well, lemme tell ya...the way the book was written was not my best idea of a good writing. The book was written in correspondent letters way...don't get me wrong, I love receiving letters and writing them but to read it in a book, a bunch of strangers' letters, that was different. I had a really hard time following the book because it was written that way.
For the first time in my life since I started reading, every time I picked up the book to read, I suddenly had the urge to put down and go scrub my kitchen floor or my bathroom floor, or do the dishes. Coming from a person who doesn't care for housekeeping, this is really bad. I had to keep reading the first sever pages over and over just to get into the book. I lost count of how many times I wanted to throw the book away and quit reading it altogether but I just had to keep reading it since I need to be able to participate in the discussion when our club meet again next week. Then one of my friends who read the book told me to hang in there, that once I get to the 50th page, the reading will get better. She was right of course but getting to the said page was actually easier said than done. It took me four days just to get to the 50th page, that seriously is how absolutely agonizingly boring those few pages were.
I finally finished reading the book last night and that frustrated me even more because just as I got over the hump in my reading and actually started enjoying the book, it had come to an end. It just feels like such a let down for me.....would I recommend this book? I don't know. Am I glad I stuck with the book and read it? In a way, yes. Would I read this book again like I usually do with any of the books I've read before? A big NO. I'll tell you one thing though, I am just glad I didn't pay big bucks for it.
I'm sure there are others out there who like the book, for example, the lady who recommended the book to us. I'd say good for you if you like it. If any of you are curious about it and want to take a snap at it, you are more than welcome to my copy...I would recommend you borrow the book first and then if you decide you like it, then go ahead and buy the book.
Aight, have a great weekend all!!


11 comments:
I have heard of a lot of people wanting to read this book but I think you're the first one I've heard actually read it already. Hmm, I don't know some books even if the idea is good, it can be frustrating to read. I wouldn't even know how to get into a book club, I just couldn't bring myself to pay full price for a book. lol
Hope your next book is much more fun to read! :)
Thanks Ter for the comment. Our book club just started, we had our first meet last month. It's just a group of women from my church whose in this club.
So far the last book we read last month, we were able to find a really good deal on the price and this month's book, the price at Costco was a little over eight dollars so it's not so bad. If you'd like read it, you're welcome to have mine.
Thanks for the recommendation! I think I will take your word for it. Big thumbs down for me...
Thanks for the recommendation! I think I will take your word for it. Big thumbs down for me...
That is so funny. I really liked the book. I totally love books written like correspondence - I feel like I'm reading something I'm not meant to read, which in some weird way, really appeals to me! I think I'm just snoopy by nature, putting my nose in others business :)
Lisa..you are welcome.
Val...I'm glad you like the book. I think this is the first time I've read this kind of book so maybe that explained my lack of interest in it but who knows, maybe the more I am exposed to this kind of book, I might learn to like it. I do however like the book as I got closer to the end and I think once I just sat down and made a commitment to read it undisturbed, I did find it interesting.
Thanks for the comments ladies, always appreciate it.
Anjeny- I just finished reading this book today and I absolutely LOVED it! It was fun reading your opinion on it though- Tell me a book that you loved so I can read it next!
hahahha really funny review-- the storyline does sound cool...but I have poor attention span, when books are written like that too.. .I hate having to transition each "letter" and put the puzzle together..
spoon feed me! please!
hope all is well..
Sandi, I'm glad you love the book. I have some of my favorites on my shelf there on the sidebar...I've read so many books, I've lost count but those are just the few I've read recently. I think I'm going to check out more of the books written by the author of the Guernsey book to see if the writing style is different.
Swirl, I am still trying to figure out what kinds of book you like to read. You made me give you a book report on the rest of the Twilight series because they were a little too gory for ya....hmmmmm.
I can't wait for Thursday to roll around, can't wait to see what the other ladies said about the book.
I LOOOOOOOOOOVED the book. haha!!
I really really did. As a matter of fact, it inspired a blog between my sister and I, called Letters between 2 Sisters. I thought the writer made story telling through letters a beautiful thing.
I also heard it was hard to get into but I loved it from the first letter. I have a couple of half read books sitting by my bed but I picked that one up and never put it down.
So funny.... how different all us humans are. :) It's what makes the world go round! :-)
LOL LoW. I hear ya on the human part...it does make the world go round, doesn't it..lol.
I'm glad you love the book and totally neat that it inspired you on the new blog. Like I said in my post, the storyline was really neat, I'm just not used to reading a book written like that. And seriously after I got page 50, after I put all the pieces together, who's who and so forth, I was able to actually start enjoying the book.
At bookclub last night, some of the ladies have kind of the same review but we all agree the storyline was great. Of course there are other ladies who loves the book the same way you do, they actually read the book more than once.
Thanks for stopping by...I'll check out your letter writing blog later on.
Post a Comment