I got a phone call this afternoon. It's not a call I dread, per say, but it's also not one I really am excited about either.
Yesterday I posted about my cleaning spree...Today I was just continuing on from where I left off. I spent most of my morning scrubbing, and I mean I got down on my hands and knees scrubbing, my kitchen floor. I've never seen my floor so sparkling white.
Anyways, in between scrubbing floors, doing dishes, wiping down cabinet doors and straighten up toys, I got a phone call. It was my Ward's Young Women President.
"I need to ask a favor of you," she said. Me, cheerfully, "Go ahead".
I thought it was going to be something like she needs me to sign some permission slips or lending her my daughter for the evening to help with something to do with Young Women. Nope, that is not even it.
Her: You don't have a calling yet, right? {I got released from both of my church callings last month.}
Me: Nope, not yet.
Her: I was wondering if you could teach the Laurels class this Sunday. {My 17 year old daughter is in Laurels.}
Me: Hummp...I guess I could. Do you have a manual I could use? And what is the topic?
Her: The topic is on Homemaking and you can find the lesson on the LDS web page under "Young Women".
Me: Hmmm, Homemaking uh? That is a hard one, not a very strong suit for me.
Her: Oh I figure you can do it since you have that many kids and you like to make all these cute artsy stuff and you being a stay at home mom and all...the girls will love to see some of your creative talents.
Me, totally doubting myself: Ok, I'll do my best.
Her: By the way, this week is our Ward Conference so there will probably be somebody from the Stake Young Women Presidency who will be visiting the class.
{Now she tells me...sheesh.}
I hung up the phone and blurted out to my 15 year old daughter..."Oh crap!! That was Sister SoSo and she wants me to teach the Laurels class this Sunday."
Her response: Well mom, you've always wanted to be in Young Women. Here's your wish come true. {What a smart aleck...I so wanted to smack that smart mouth of hers.}
She's right though. I have expressed that I would love to be in Young Women while she and her sister are still in there. I would love to be able to do things with them to keep up with what they're doing in there, and what better way to do it then to be right there with them.
I'm a little, no take that back, I am beyond nervous about teaching these 16 & 17 year-olds. Especially on the topic. HOMEMAKING...me? teaching about homemaking.
Honestly, my skills in homemaking are completely lacking. The way I manage my home is nothing to shout over the rooftop about. My idea of homemaking is to nag my kids to do their chores til they are practically in tears and then let my house go til we are practically buried in clutter and mess before I go on some cleaning freak mode to put my house back to something close to decent shape. I am the least organized person in the world, although I love the idea of organization and the way I manage my home... my goodness, I would be lucky if my kids don't end up seeking therapy for the rest of their lives.
But I guess since I've already said yes...I'll just have to suck it in and do my best to teach the lesson as best I know how. Hopefully whatever suggestions or examples I use, my daughter won't call me out on it.
Moral of this post? Never never ever wish for something unless you are absolutely sure you can handle it should the occasion calls for it. I have literally put my foot in my mouth this time. My daughter is right; although I will never in this lifetime admit that to her.... I wanted to be involved in Young Women. Now I have totally gotten my wish. A well deserved lesson for me...LOL.











14 comments:
Well, I wish you luck! :)
hehehehe!!! I am laughing at, no with, nope, it's at you! hehehehe!!! I too was asked to substitute teach on Sunday for my 17 yr old's SS class. This is also the week that I started my second job. SIGH. You see, there is NEVER a good time to jump into something unfamiliar! NEVER!!!
YOU CAN DO IT!!! Cause YOU ROCK!!!
BTW, love your new signature!!!
Holy cow that is SO me!!! Except I didn't want to be in Young Women or Primary...I LOVE LOVE Relief Society!
But I will tell you ... girls are a lot of fun to teach...and they will enjoy your lesson regardless...
And anyway...you are TEACHING about Homemaking...not having to show anything right?
I can teach about anything if I read up on it...HELK I could teach about sword fighting, and I've never done it in my life!
:)
I love your new design!
Ter, thank you!
April..LOL@you. See, I can laugh at you too..eheh. I am glad that I will not be only one teaching this Sunday..eheheh. Thanks for the vote of confidence. You're not so bad urself.
Shelle, I am tickled that you love my new do. I LOVE it myself. I'll take your word about the fun teaching part in Young Women. I am only teaching the less, I don't have to show anything unless I feel like it.
And wow, you can teach anything!! Come teach for me..eheheh. Thanks for much for stopping by.
Just make sure that you bribe your daughters and make them pinky swear to NOT bring up one darn thing about their opinions on your homemakeing skills. Not that I am doubting you have them...but I'm just saying!
Ah, you'll be great!
LOL Sandi. I will definitely threaten her that if she opens her mouth other than to answer the question I will disown her..eheheh.
Heidi, thank you for your comment.
I've always said that the only thing domestic about me is that I live in a house...
I'd go on and on about the time my mother told me I was as domestic as a rock... but I just realized what a superb post that'll make sometime next week :) (just imagine me at 16 trying to create cream puffs and not quite "getting" it...)
OMGOSH! Your new site is sooooooo beautiful. It's the most beautiful site I've ever seen. It's increditble. I love love love lvoe it. Good job, girlfriend. Who did it!
So cute cute cute.
And I have to teach that very same lesson this week and I'm SO HATING the topic too. I was thinking I could bring them all to my house and have them teach me how to be a better homemaker.
hee hee
Crash!!!
So tickled to see you here, what with you being busy and all...LOL. I'm glad you love love looove my new do. I am seriously in love with it myself...eheheh. The lady who did it has her button on my left side bar. She did amazing work, don't you think? It's a little too G rated but it's I love it nonetheless.
Whoa, you're teaching the YW too? I never thought about that, I guess I should bring them home to show me some homemaking skills too eh...eheheh. The irony of it is, my house is actually clean for once from the two day deep cleaning I did...lol.
Oh T...thank you so much for the comment. I feel the same way, too. It's really embarrassing because even my brothers are better at the homemaking thing than I am.
I can't wait to read your post.
Good luck this Sunday... I bet you'll soon find your niche and the girls will totally love you as well!
Ive always been told, never talk bad about those in any calling, because the calling will soon be yours!
the next WV is madvent! hehe!
Thank you IWA. You're right about the talking bad about people in calling. I hope I do ok with those girls.
LOL@WV.
Post a Comment