Like everyone else around the holidays...family picture becomes a must on my list. But to cut down on the cost, I take our family pictures(have a friend do it or whoever was available at the time we needed the picture taken) instead of going to a photo studio to have it done. I'd rather spend the money on something else than have it spend on pictures...of course, if I have a professional photographer as a friend, I would pay her to take my family photos. And since I make my own Christmas cards, I think it only fitting that the pictures that go with it be also made(taken) by me.
Anyways, for every year since we started doing this and the kids were old enough to actually cooperate with a smile on their faces, we've been going over the Laie Temple (for those non-Mormon readers, this is the Mormon Temple) to have our pictures taken there. The Temple itself is beautiful and the landscape is absolutely breathtaking. Unfortunately this year, we are unable to do that because the temple is closed for renovation. So, I decided that we will have our pictures taken at the beach. I love the idea of sending our Christmas cards to our family on the mainland with a picture of us at the beach(a kind of a joke strategy my hub and I have started to share to torture our family on the mainland to get them to come visit us..naughty uh? LOL).
So yesterday, after weeks of planning, color outfit to match, I made a deal with a friend of mine to bring her family and we can each take each other's family pictures. Everything worked out pretty smoothly until we got to the beach. Trying to control the little kids to stay away from the water long enough to take pictures was a bit of a struggle. I have to keep explaining to them that it's still Sunday and we still need to keep the Sabbath day holy and that we weren't there to swim which was really something else. We took tons of pictures since everytime most of the family is ready with a pose, one of the kids would move or blink. And I want to say that my hubby and my friend's hubby were real troopers, they didn't complain once and went along with both of our whims. When we say, stand a certain way or look a certain way...they did, which helped because when the kids see how patient the dads were to the mom, they couldn't help but follow suit. I am happy to report that I got what I needed out of our little photo session and didn't lose anyone to the temptation of those beautiful rolling waves. Oh but how the kids were so tempted to jump in the water full suit.
I was going to wait til closer to Christmas to show off the result our photo shoot but I am so excited about how these ones turned out. My friend took these and just emailed them to me so I thought I'd post them. We decided to do a walk on the beach and have her take different take on it. As you see the number of people in the pictures, you can give me virtual high five for tackling this task and managing to get away with everyone's cooperation. Enjoy.
(From left to right: Steph, Jon, Jen, Chris, Kat, me, Kev, Dan, & Joe)


Oh by the way...my give-away is still on...if interested, go here to enter. You still have til this Sunday.

10 comments:
great photos!!
Awesome Pics! I totally love the background scenery! Ive been trying to figure a place to take a family pic and I might just copy yours!
BTW.. did you hear about the freebie of 50 photo cards? I posted it on FB!
Oh no, not yet Iwa...I'm going over to FB right now to check it out.
I have been wanting to do our pictures since the Primary Program but since our ward gets out at 3 in the afternoon, the timing wasn't right. Finally with the conference this weekend getting off earlier, I thought it was the perfect time to do it. You should try it...it was fun.
Ter..thanks for the comment.
Anjeny those are some great pictures there, once again you have inspired me! When my son comes to spend Christmas with us, he's not allowed home until we have taken a family pic.
You have a beautiful family, but I'm sure you already know that
love your photos... it's making this mainlander a little jealous, I think it probably works well for your family too :)
Hey that's awesome! Relaxed and fun. How cool to be able to take Christmas pictures at the beach. Up here you either take them in the summer or everybody has *touque hair.
*Canadian-ese for knit hat
Beautiful pictures! I wish I could take my Christmas pictures there...
Granny...thank you for the kind words. I feel honored to a be of any inspiration to you.
T..I guess my strategy works for you then uh? I wish it worked that way with my hub's family. We used to take pictures or go to the beach on Christmas day and called my MIL where we were so she'd hop on her next flight out but it didn't work..LOL.
Tatty..I was LOL ing at the tougue hair. Thank you for the comment.
Lisa..maybe someday soon you will be taking pictures on the beach and sending them to your family? Then I would have a chance to meet you in real person..how cool is that.
Aloha my friend...Happy Thanksgiving...love the photos!
Absolutely gorgeous photos! Send me one, please? Then I can wave it around and tell people how cool I am for knowing such a glowing bunch, living in such an awesome place. I'll totally do it . . .
Post a Comment