4/7/09

A Brag Post

Meet my daughter Jennifer. She's 15 and is a Freshman in High School. She is the second child born into this family of seven kids. Some of her interests are hanging out on virtual places like MySpace and Facebook, hanging out with friends, talking on the phone and entertaining her family with some creative jokes she may have heard or read somewhere. She's a very mild manner child but very expressive in her opinions. Her absolute favorite thing to do is singing.

In fact, she belongs to a choir called Ko'olauloa Children Choir and their choir will be leaving the island the second week of June to go to Washington, DC to tour there for a couple of days and then on to New York to participate in the Carnegie Hall Festival. There they will be singing their hearts out. It's been a real fun and hard year of fundraising to send these beautiful talented kids to participate in something so special and I'm sure the experience will be memorable one for them.

Anyways, the reason for this post and introduction is because I feel like bragging a little about this daughter of mine. As I'm sure most of you know, this past weekend was General Conference for our church. I love conference because I love listening to all the wonderful speakers with the message that each of them delivered.

And because we live in Hawaii and with the time difference, to watch the Conference live the first session comes on at six o'clock in the morning and then the second one comes on at ten.

I know, too early and I am not a morning person. Well, Jen got up on both days, Saturday and Sunday a little before six and watched both early morning sessions all by herself. I didn't wake up til seven to watch so I missed out on the earlier speakers. I was really impressed with her and so proud of her that I could not pass this moment up to come on here and brag about her.

Usually during conference, I was the one who would get up and roused people out of bed to watch but it's not that way this time around. I just love it when kids do things of their own free will and choice without being told. I think as moms when any of our kids do something out of the ordinary, we feel this overwhelming sense of joy and satisfaction and in some small measure an assurance that we are probably doing the right thing.

This is especially true to me because this daughter and I have been at each other for a while with our difference of opinions. She being a teenager usually thinks I don't know what I am talking about or don't understand anything that is going on when I try to teach her what is right or wrong and try to guide her along the right path. I often feel frustrated with her because I feel that most of the time she just tunes me out when I am trying to talk to her so when she does something like this, it totally blows my mind and makes me all teary about it. It's moment like this that makes being a mommy all worthwhile. I am so very proud of her.

I'm not saying that we will never have any hard times with each other but at least now I know that even if she does appear like she may have been tuning me out when I am giving her advice or scolding her, I know she's listening and paying attention.

So there you go, my little ramblings for the day. Hope y'all are enjoying your week.

God bless!!

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Are you going to be able to chaperone the trip? :) I can't seem to get to your island so I'm hoping you can get to mine!

Ter said...

:)

The Crash Test Dummy said...

That is so coool. And she's beautiful too. But I can't imagine her being expressive with her opinions. Where did she get that from?

heh he heh

I loved the photos.

Anjeny said...

Hi Amanda...the original plan was that I was going to chaperone but alas, I couldn't raise enough money for the both of us. This was a trip I was going to fund myself without tapping into our household budget and also from their fundraisings they did. I was bummed because your SIL has gotten me really excited about dropping in on your family for a visit while I am up there but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Oh well, maybe next time.

Ter..good to see your virtual smile.

Crash...thanks for the compliment on my girl..lol. And yeah, where does she come from? I ask that very question all the time...wink wink..ahahah.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

I already gave you props for your daughter...but I had to comment and tell you how BEAUTIFUL she is...honestly..the girls a knock out! And now we can tell how beautiful she is INSIDE also! :)

Our Little Peneinei Kihs. said...

Hey Anjenny,

I always wonder if its a stage their going thru or its just the way they are.My first impression of Jennifer was like,she's so quiet.Yeah I can understand the feeling of having to things with out being told.Our little niece Nicole has been acting up lately.It's been very hard to talk to her lately.And part of me tries very hard to understands her,but it seems like her anger is getting worst and worst.
Her attitude change towards her parents.She used to tell me everything ,but now its not like that anymore.Anyways I'm keeping my eye on her.Ioar mah ineh pwehn kidah roang ah nohnou kihn nimehn woarwoarih nehn ah likaou..Seriuosly my sisiter always saying bad words ro her.I keep telling her not to.I;m shocked b/c our parents never siad such provacative words to us.I have no idea where she gets her nasty mouth from.Anyways call me so we can come visit when we come to Hawaii next week k

Our Little Peneinei Kihs. said...

I just realized that she's going to sing at the Carnagie Hall.WOOOOOOOOW!I'm jelaous! Poeple pay millions of money just to go sit on Carnagie hall.Tell Jennifer to make room inher suitcase b/c I wanna go..lol..Tell her I say Congratualtion!

Anjeny said...

Nioleen...man it's soooo good to see/read you again. How are you?

I guess our niece has hit puberty then uh? Yeah, Nainai needs to stop saying that kind of things to her. I think this is just some kind of phase that they go through, I don't know but Jen especially has always been very expressive when she gets upset. She can be quiet but man when she gets upset about something, her words cut deeper and hurt more than a knife does.

Oh yeah, she will be having the time of her life at Carnegie...you're jealous? I'm past that already...ahahah, but I'm happy for her.