4/21/09

Happy Birthday, Son!!

<span class= Meet my son #2, Jonathan. Yesterday, we celebrated his 12Th birthday. Because it can be very costly to have seven birthday parties each year for all seven kids, we've started a tradition in our family. That is on each kids' birthday, the b-day kid gets to pick out his/her favorite food to eat and mom(me) have to prepare it to have as a special birthday dinner. I think it's the most clever and best idea ever because the kids completely love it and totally jumped at idea. As soon as we finish celebrating New Year, the kids started thinking about what they would have for their special birthday dinner. Of course, if it happens to be a Milestone birthday, then that particular kid gets to pick out what he/she wants to do..either a party, a day out with friends with dinner and movie, or go shopping or he/she picks out a place to go to hang out for fun, like Ice Palace or something, places we normally don't go to all the time.

So for Jonathan's birthday, he chose to have chili and rice...I know, I was surprise he would pick that for his special dinner. I guess it is her favorite dish or something so that's what we have for his b-day dinner. I baked the cake, no the cake wasn't made from scratch, and her sister Steph decorated it. She's the baker in our family so the birthday cakes usually falls on her to make.


Here's Jonathan's cake made with love by his mom and sister...awwww!!
<span class=

So we had dinner and after that, we sang him the birthday song and presented him with his cake. He was one happy camper..lol.

<span class=Here he is with his cake just before he blew out the candles . Don't ask me what he did his shirt. Halfway through the whole thing, I realized that he's been shirtless throughout the whole time. Part of his 12Th birthday deal is he gets to pick a place or an activity he wants to do. He hasn't told us what he wants to do yet but I'm sure he'd like to invite several of his friends over for a party or go to Ice Palace. I'm going to leave that totally up to him.

I've decided that this Sunday I'm going to really make a very special dinner, something I'll pick out that I know he loves too because he will be advancing from Primary to the Young Men program. He will also be sustained as a Deacon. I get totally emotional when I think about my little boy all grown up and passing sacrament with his older brother in church.

Before I end this post, lemme tell you a little about this son of mine. He's in sixth grade now and will be attending Kahuku High and Inter. School next year as a seventh grader...he's really anxious to be going to school where the older kids are..lol.

I've mentioned this son in one of my posts before. He is the kind of person who takes things very seriously and he takes any one's words literally. If you tell him a joke, it'll take him a long time to figure out that he's just heard a joke. When he was little, he would tell me that when he grows up, he will marry me and buy me a big house..lol and take care of me. Whenever anyone would ask him who his girlfriend was, the answer was always "my mom". Adorable, uh? He's very loving and he is not ashamed to show affection in public especially to his mom. That makes some of my friends a little envious because their sons who are my son's friends and age do not like to be seen with their moms in public and to show affection in public? That's a no no.

He's such a good big brother and he caters to his baby sister's every whim. It's been a real privilege having this son and raising him. Even though he's always the last one to get the joke, he's always making us laugh with his remarks. Even without thinking it, he says the darnedest and funniest things so right there you know you can never be bored hanging out with him.

So in honor of his birthday I want send a shout out to my son Jonathan. Happy Birthday, son!! It's been a real privilege having you for a son.


5 comments:

MakingChanges said...

Happy Birthday! Hey, impressive that you actually did it on his birthday. I was a week late. Nice going mom!

Anjeny said...

Julie, my kids would eat me alive if I skip doing this esp. if I wasn't throwing them bday parties..lol. I actually prefer doing the dinner than do a full-on party.

As with you, it's better late than never. Thanks for the comment love girl.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

What a cute kid, and I was even gone out of town on my son's birthday, And it was easter as well. Hows that for a bad mom. He is 15 now and said he didn't care. I still haven't even made him a cake. I need to do that. Thanks for reminding me.

Anjeny said...

NHC..I did that one year, I went the whole year without celebrating any of the kids' birthday. I think it was one of those years where the whole year I must've been depressed or something cuz I just didn't feel like celebrating anything.

Don't feel too bad though, just invite some of his friends over and make it a day for him, make him think you postponed his bday to make it more special. I don't think you're a bad mom at all, in fact, you're the most generous and kind mom ever.

Nutty Hamster Chick said...

Anjeny, you are too kind. Thanks for making my day by saying nice things about me. And you are right, it is never too late. He did get a present, a World of Warcraft computer game he wanted. I want to get him a cane but my husband is insisting that he is going to go right from using crutches to nothing at all. So we will see who wins that war. he he he