Last month the book our club read was The Wednesday Letters. This book would have been a great book to read for valentine since it's got some romance in it.
The Wednesday Letters written by Jason F. Wright, a New York Times Bestseller.
They died in each other's arms. But their secret-the letters-did not die with them. True love keeps no secrets. Jack and Laurel have been married for 39 years. They've live a good life and appear to have had the perfect marriage. With his wife cradled in his arms. and before Jack takes his final breath, he scribbles his last "Wednesday Letter."
When their adult children arrive to arrange the funeral, they discover boxes and boxes full of love letters that their father wrote to their mother each week on Wednesday. As they begin to open and read the letters. the children uncover the shocking truth about their past.
In addition, each one must deal with present-day challenges. Matthew has a troubled marriage, Samantha is a single mother, and Malcolm is the black sheep of the family who has returned home after a mysterious two-year absence.
Did that catch your attention yet? LOL It did mine. As soon as I read that I just have to read the book to see what secrets the couple has been hiding. Of course the book also talked about forgiveness. I love the fact that the husband, Jack, love his wife so much that he made the committment on their wedding day that every week on Wednesday he would write a letter to his wife whether she was in the same room or another state. It was totally sweet and romantic. Sometimes his letters were long and descriptive, other times it's short and sweet.
Anyways, as the review above read, the couple died in each other's arm. Jack has been battling a terminal illness so everyone have anticipated that he would soon be gone but no one in their wildest imaginings can picture that Laurel would die on the same night as Jack...in fact, she died of an heart attack and minutes before Jack died. On his final breath, he wrote his last letter to his wife.
I find incredibly hard that the kids didn't even know anything at all about the letters, that they only discovered those boxes in the basement. My first reaction to it was "what?! How can that be? Don't kids usually explore that they discover things that parents often think they've hidden from them?" Obviously, those kids must not be that into exploring...LOL. But then as I read further, I guess you could say I am glad they didn't see those letters while the parents were still alive. You see, the dad when writing to the mom, he recounted everything, day to day life that there was a secret that they had kept from the kids, he revealed it all in his letters. When the grown kids read those particular letters, there were some contentions, anger and feelings of betrayal. But I am definitely not going into detail about what that secret is. You can can find out for yourself by reading the book.
Yes, I would recommend anyone to read this book. It's a great read and totally worth the time and the money.


6 comments:
I loved this book, too. I think parents can have secrets from their kids. They were just really good at hiding those letters.
This really sounds like my kind of book! Thanks.... This will be my next read!
okay okay - I'll add it to my pile of books to read, glad to have a good review on it because I'd wondered what on earth it was about :) thanks!
Lisa..thank you. I'm glad you liked the book too. I couldn't put it down once I started reading it.
Iwa...you are more than welcome to borrow my copy. It is a really great book to read.
T..you are most welcome. I look forward to reading your take on it.
OMGOSH, what is the secret? I MUST know. What a great book review. I should do some book reviews. I need to read this book.
LOL Crash...yes you must know. I can't wait to read what you find out about the secret. I think you're going to love it, and of course, I'm sure you're going to love the book.
And yes, you need to some book review. I miss reading them. Miss ya much and thanks for stopping by.
LY!!
Post a Comment