1/28/09

Boys are such trouble.....


That's what my 17 year old, daughter, said when I jokingly asked her why doesn't she have a boyfriend yet.


I know what you're thinking....why am I encouraging my daughter to have a boyfriend now? Well, for one, I want to make sure she's your typical teenage girl you know, the incessant talk about boys like her younger sister...LOL. {Besides, I love to throw her off balance, to see her blush.}


Conversation in the car on the way home from the Dentist's Office:


Me, just making conversation: So Steph, got a new boyfriend yet and if not, why the heck not?


Her: Oh mom, you ask me that everytime we're alone.


Me: And I'm going to keep asking til you bring home a boyfriend for me to meet.


Her: Gee Mom...boys are too much trouble, why would I want one?


Me: Oh I don't know...so you're not interested in boys at all?


Her: I don't have time for boyfriend. I want to enjoy my last year of High School without all the drama that comes with having a boyfriend.


Me: Awwww. Atta girl!!


Then she said with a smug smile on her face: "Besides I did have a boyfriend."


Me, bumbling idiot: Wha What? When was this and why didn't you tell me? Where's he from, where did you meet him? Does he go to Kahuku?


Her: Sheesh mom, breathe. That's precisely why I didn't tell you, you get over excited whenever I so much as mention a boy in your presence.


Me: I DO NOT.


Her: Anyways, I didn't say anything about it cuz I only went out with him a total of one week and then I broke off with him and this was waaaay back in November.


Me: What?! In November? This is January and you're just now telling me? And what do you mean you guys went out? Where? How?


Her, very patiently: We didn't go out as in go out. We are on the same paddling team so we just saw each other at practice but then I had to dump him cuz I found out he was dating my new friend at the same time he was supposedly dating me.


Me: I see.


Her: Indeed.


So the drive was quiet for a few minutes and then she spoke up;

"Oh yeah Mom, there are two Sophmore boys on my paddling team who have major crushes on me. What do I do with that, what do I say to them?"


Me: Hmmmm, what do you say? Say, "I'm really flattered that you boys like me, so how 'bout looking me up in five or ten years from now." I mean, do you even like them? But it's besides the point, they are too young for you.


Her: I don't like them like they like me, I think they are really cute potential younger brothers but they are not way too young for me, they are only one year younger than me.


Me: Well, there you go...tell them that.


Her: Ok, will do.


Another pause...I was really quiet thinking to myself..."will she ever tell me when she has a real boyfriend? Will she bring him home for the family to meet? She tells me about boys she liked before..I wonder if all my teasings had marred her somehow that she will never trust me again to tell me next time she meets a boy. Other thoughts were still going through my head, when she broke the silence,


"Don't look so sad, Mom. I was going to bring him home after a week of seeing him but since I broke it off that early, I didn't see any point in mentioning it. And it was not that big a deal either since it was way back then. But I promise, mom, if I ever have a boyfriend, even if I was away in College, you will be the first to know. I'm going to invite him over everyday like Jen does with Mark that you will get so sick of him. Ok?"


Me: Ok...I will definitely hold you to that.


Oh yeah and if any of you tell Steph I post about her on here, I will deny it wholeheartedly..LOL.

{J/K....She gave me her permission to post about her today. As an update, she said she told those Sophmore boys who have crushes on her that she just wants to be their friend and one of the boys was totally pissed up about that and cussing up a storm. "Yep" she said, "that's what I mean by boys are too much trouble."}

7 comments:

Ter said...

lol, well I agree, boys are trouble. ;)

Thanks for your comment. She gets jealous of the laptop sometimes! ;)

Anjeny said...

Hi Ter...good to see you again.

April said...

YEAH for girls like your daughter!!! I have hope again!!!

Emily said...

I agree. Boys are trouble! Your girl sounds like she has got it together. ;0)

Anjeny said...

Lol April. You're soo adorable..eheheh.

Thanks Em. I do hope this stays that way. I don't know why my girls are doing the opposite, the one who's supposed to be dating and having a boyfriend is NOT and the one who's not even supposed to be dating has a boyfriend. Go figure!

I am LoW said...

haha!! I love it! My daughter is counting down the day to 16, so I don't have to have this conversation with her. My son however, who takes after his daddy and is deathly afraid of girls at 17, is one I love to put on the spot. But really, he should wait to have a girlfriend til after his mission, b/c GIRLS ARE TROUBLE!!! :-D

Anjeny said...

Hi Low...thank you so much for commenting. You son is smart, girls are trouble, better to wait til after his mission to deal with them. LOL

That's funny that you also like to put your 17 year old on the spot..lol. I always get a kick out of seeing the expression on my daughter's face when I said something to throw her off balance. eheh Hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the butt later.