1/5/09

Check IT Out

Ok, my friend Swirl has her infamous Book Club and she's got a nice do over with it. Everyone who knows her are trying to spread the word, she's doing this incredibly wonderful thing to help promote reading for boys. I wasn't going to post about it because first, my boys are not reading all that much and secondly, I don't have that many bloggers who read my blog but I just remember that most of the ones who read my blog are non bloggers so this post is for them.

I am kinda ashame to admit this. I LOVE reading but my kids loathe it. I mean they will read only if I am bribing to do their chores for them or pay them money for it. This has always been a problem for me. I don't know how that happens, though. Whenever any of them were younger, from baby to before they start school, I was always reading to them and encouraging them to read. I had such high hopes whenever I see any of them show interests in any book. And they did...they loved it when I was reading to them and even tried to immitate my reading. Then as soon as they stepped into a classroom, they wanted nothing to do with books. Boggles my mind.

You see, I look for a time when all my kids can each grab a book and sit down with it so I can justify reading the books I love reading without feeling quilty that I am ignoring my wifely and motherly duties. I mean I would go so far as to offer to do their chores for them and if that doesn't work, I would bribe them with money.

Sometimes it worked, and sometimes not. So far, the only time my boys {and this is 13 year old son, and 11 year old son} were reading was HOLES came out {and that was after watching the movies first}, the Limeny(wrong spelling, I'm sure) Snicket series, the Narnia series and of course Harry Potter series. I think getting books that has a cd comes with it is a great way to go. My boys usually rotated between the book and cd. But anways, that was back then. Right now both boys are contemplating on reading the sixth book of Harry Potter, Half blood prince, before it comes out in the movies.

Right now, we don't have any interesting book around the house, for boys, (oh, I have book "THE HOST" by Stephanie Meyer, her fifth book she wrote. I finished reading it and my oldest daughter wants to read it now. So far, she's the one most interested in Stephanie's book, maybe because they have the same name, I think?) so I think I need a trip to the bookstore. I need a day where I can spend a few hours there so I can really find an attention-grabber book that my boys would take one look at and fall in like with it.

So if you are reading this...go here and check it out. You are gonna LOVE it!

1 comment:

LBBlum said...

Hey Girl!
thanks to the post

okay- to get the free make-over..you click on the button, post a comment on HER blog and then put a side bar button and you get like 16 entries for her to make-over your blog FREE..

she is giving 3 away.
so go over there!