And yes, this was us during the dating time. Ahhh but we look so young then and totally less stressed out, less gray hair {for him mostly} and totally worry free, I think.
People are often curious about how a small-island girl ended up married to a white boy from Texas. Most asked questions are "where did you meet?", "how did you end up marrying him?", details details. So for the sake of our anniversary I thought I'd post about how & where we met.
We met at BYU-Hawaii, of course that's where most interracial LDS couples meet and hooked up. But actually I met him before I met him at BYUH.
Back, way back when I was still a very young girl...am I grabbing your attention yet? Hmmmm, where was I? Oh yeah...
About a month before my High School graduation and my trip to BYUH {back on my little island in Micronesia}, several of our Branch members were at the airport saying our fond farewells to the missionaries {for you non-LDS, our church send young men in their 19s to serve a mission for two years sharing our beliefs to everyone around the world, a mighty noble thing to do if I do say so myself} who were leaving and I noticed four Elders standing ways away from the crowd, looking like they have just ended up in the wrong place or something and I decided it would be really fun to meet them and see if I can strike up some kind of a conversation out of them to make them feel a little welcome. {Back when I was a teenager, meeting new people and making new friends are on the top of my list of favorite things to do. That was when I thought I can climb any mountain, and conquer anything I want, too bad that is not the case now.}
Actually one of the Elders I've met before so I thought I could just go and chat with him. So I walked up to them and said, "So Elders, what ya know, after 2 years of practically limited activities you guys are finally going home. What do you plan to do first?" The whole time I was looking at the Elder I know. And this one Elder I've never seen before, with total astonishment on his face exclaimed, "You speak English?"
Me, looking a bit stunned replied in disbelief, "Hummmp Yeah, I speak English".
Before I could finish what I was saying, a friend of mine bibed in, {no idea she had followed me over} "Are you kidding? She's a genius, she's going to be our valedictorian. And she's going to BYUH next month". {Talk about a blabber mouth.}
He looked at me again, "Wow. You're going to BYUH? I'm going there too in August".
Me, acting all nonchalant: Oh cool, maybe I'll see you there.
Him: Oh I am sure I will see you there.
Me, still curious about his first question asked him why was he surprise that I could speak his language.
Him: For two years I have been serving in the islands, no one spoke English at all.
"Where did you serve your mission?" I asked him.
"Majuro" {Majuro is in the Marshall Islands which is a neighboring island to mine}, he said. "Everytime we tried speaking to them in English, they couldn't really understand us and we were told to learn their language because they don't speak English."
Me, a little laugh: I'm sorry but that is not really all true. They do speak English just fine but that was just their way of making you guys learn the language real fast.
So we exchanged names, him still introducing himself with the Elder as the first name and I told him my name. He couldn't pronounce my name really good so he had me write it down on his little blue planner. By this time I realized that the three other missionaries who had been standing with him had taken a few steps away from us. As he left to go join the others, he said his goodbyes and said, "I'll see at BYUH in August".
As they boarded the plane, my friends and I went back home and I remembered the same friend started teasing me about how I just found me a boyfriend...sheeesh do I really want to slap her, her and big mouth. But secretly I was kinda happy. I figured going away to college wasn't going to be as scary as I thought since I just made a new friend. And no matter what, I know I already have a friend in a foreign place. I even told another one of my friends the next day about how I just made a new friend who's going to the same university.
A month later (June) I boarded the same plane that would take me to BYUH. I was really excited about going to new places and being on my own, meeting new people, it was an adventure I couldn't wait to tackle. From June til August, the time just flew by. I made friends from all over the world, it was almost like a kid in a candy store. I loved every minute of it.
Finally August arrived. I gotta admit, I was actually looking forward to seeing that return missionary I met at the airport and being the naive girl that was then, I was actually expecting to see him again his missionary outfit. {I know, silly but hey, I was still in my teens.} There was a dance and my friends and I decided to go to it. And I saw another returned missionary who happened to live close to BYUH, one of those well-built Tongans {he served his mission on my island and was regular visitor to our home. I used to play all kinds of tricks on him and his companions that he actually made a rascal nickname for me.} He had appointed himself to be the big brother to the little Micronesian girls that he knew. So he called me over to show me some pictures he'd taken of me and my friends on our first Sunday at BYUH when he rescued us from our hunger..LOL. While we were going through the photos, I can see from the corner of my eye, this guy asking him if I was her. It was kinda dark, you know how the lights are at the dances, so we both were ignoring him or at least I was trying to but still a little curious to who he was talking about. But I heard the Tongan guy answered back, "no it's not her. Just hold on".
Then the guy just pushed his way in front of me and asked, he had to speak a little louder so he could be heard above the music, "Are you this {said my last name, I guess he couldn't pronounce my name} girl?
Instantly I became very suspicious thinking one of my friends had given my name out to some total stranger so I replied reluctantly, "yeees and who wants to know?" "I'm Elder {last name inserted} remember? We met at the airport on your island?"
Okaaaay...remember how I said I am expecting to see him again in all his missionary get-ups? Well, he was most certainly not wearing a missionary uniform, he was wearing a tie dye shirt and jeans shorts. Aw come on, what do expect? I said I was naive back then.
"Oh yeah, I remember you". {That's an understatement...I not only remember him, I was actually looking forward to seeing him again.} After we get reacquainted again, he asked me to dance. After the dance was over, we went for a walk up to the temple. The whole time we were walking, we were chatting up a storm. He told me that day at the airport, he remembered telling one of the other missionaries how nice and beautiful I was and how he'd like to marry someone like me someday. {Aw, how sweet.} Not too long after that we were inseparable. Six months after we met and dated, we finally got to the altar and pledged our life to one another.
{In honor of this special day, I dedicate this post to my hubby whom I will always love and cherish and will always be grateful to for all he does for our family. Happy Anniversary & love you honey!!}
Hope y'all enjoy this little glimpse into my life of when it all started. Happy Sunday.

11 comments:
aw it was meant to be! :)
Happy Anniversary!
Wow... what a great love story... I really enjoyed learning this about you. Happy Anni!
What a great story! word verifier word: pants. What's up with that?
Anjeny congratulations!!!
What a sweet post!
did you have fun yesterday!?!?!? I want to hear all about it!
Ter, thank you, I thouht so too.
Doncha, I'm glad you liked my story and that this story has helped you get to know me a little.
Hi Heidi, thanks you. As far as my WV, it's whacky..LOL.
Laura, thank you. Joc and I had blast yesterday. Learned all kinds of cool tips, got tons of new ideas and took lots of pictures. I feel totally hyped up about all the cool ideas. I'll post about it some time this week.
What a choice story, hope you had a really great anniversary day, thank you for sharing that with us
I love this story! How fun!
Word verifier says 'spampti'- I know you islanders like spam,but quit forcing it on us mainlanders!
mahalo!
Aww how cute! this was fun to read and learn a little more about you- thanks for sharing! Hey I knew a guy from Micronesia (no clue what island) named Thomas Joab- I know it's a huge long shot, but have ya ever happened to of heard of him?
I love those sweet pictures of you guys and you beautiful family. :)
I found your blog through a link on Heidi's (I had to read yours to figure out what the challenge was:-) and have had the most fun reading it. First--I just wrote my "how we met" story about me and my husband as well, and I always enjoy reading that from someone else.
Second--I have traveled to many parts of the world but my most favorite place I have ever been--and keep returning to, is Hawaii. And my most favorite place in Hawaii is the north shore.
Third--I also was a student there at BYU-H, but before your time, I am sorry to say. :-)
And Fourth--My husband's brother is the basketball coach at BYU-H and we attended their game against Grand Canyon University just last night. Go Seasiders!
Happy Anniversary as well!
For Your Journey, thank you for stopping by. Who is your brother in law and wow, it is really great hearing from someone who's been here and love the north shore as well. Happy Anniversary to you too. I am really glad you stopped by and that you like reading my post. Come more often if time permits.
Emily, I will be stopping by to see which photos you posted for the tag. Thank you for playing, very sweet of you.
Sandi, as always, I am tickled to see you venturing out to my humble pad...eheheh. Thank you for reading my post but I am sorry to say I'm not really fimiliar with the name you asked about.
Emily my sistah's sister...LOL..I'm glad you love my story but I'm sorry you don't like spam. Maybe while you're here I can have Laura make you some spam musubi aight? eheheh, come on, don't look at me like that. There were some things your sister said she wouldn't eat when I first met her but now she's eating them and loving em. See?
Gran, how's it going? Thank you.
Post a Comment